We all know that good attendance at school is the best starting point for success!
Absence causes problems:
- If children miss lessons they need to catch up on the work later and they have missed the chance to hear the teachers’ explanations and the opportunity to ask questions.
- Even when they come back to school these challenges continue as they may find it difficult to ‘tune in’ because of what they have missed.
- Friendship difficulties can occur.
- Children may lose confidence.
- Children who are regularly absent from school make less progress and are more likely to have poorer economic prospects in adult life.
Whilst children miss an occasional day through being ill, we aim for all children to have attendance of at least 96%.
Pupils’ attendance is colour coded as follows:
Red : below 90% -may result in a referral to Pupil Entitlement Investigation (PEI)
Amber : 93% - 95.9 % - cause for concern
Green : 96% and above - satisfactory
Can I remind all parents:
- Holiday absence will not be be authorised by the school
- Regular unauthorised absences are reported to the Education Welfare Officer (EWO) and could result in legal action and a fine of up to £1000.00. This includes taking an unauthorised holiday.
Please endeavour to make non-urgent dentist and doctor appointments out of the school day.
Your support is greatly appreciated.
Parental Request to Authorise an Absence in Exceptional Circumstances
Please see the following PDF regarding Absences and Parental Rights
Please click the following for a form should you need to Request Authorisation for an Absence and send it in to the school office.
Is my child too ill for School?
It is usually appropriate for parents and carers to send their children to school with mild respiratory illnesses. This would include general cold symptoms: a minor cough, runny nose or sore throat. However, children should not be sent to school if they have a temperature of 38°C or above or have had sickness and/or diarrhoea, in which case they should stay away for 2 days (48hrs) from the last episode.
Please use the link for more information.